PDA

View Full Version : 'ello 'ello!

Jonjoseph
15th April 2011, 18:09
Hey, I'm Jonjo from the UK!

I've been studying German since I was 11 (I'm now 21) on and off, but I was always too shy to use it and it isn't a subject that is really promoted here in the UK so I lost a lot of the basics. Ironically now I want to study the New Testament and the influence it had on the Holocaust. Not only is a lot of New Testament scholarship dominated by German people, but obviously literature concerning the Holocaust is in German. But I also want to learn it because I fell in love with it as soon as I was able to have a basic conversation. I loved the school trips I went on to Hamburg and Berlin!

Anyway, hopefully here I will engage myself and take part in the community. I was watching a Youtube video before by a German guy and even replying to it in a comment saying "Sehr gut! Ich habe es geliebt" made me realise how much I miss using the language..

superkat
16th April 2011, 07:28
Ey up chuck! (That's vaguely northern, right?) Hello! I'm Kat, I come from the South (you'd love it here, we have electricity and everything!) (I kid!)

Is German really not promoted that much here? I didn't even choose it at school, it was lumbered upon me, which in my opinion is a very aggressive kind of promotion but promotion nonetheless! Then again, I did do Latin at school so I am possibly not entirely up to date with which languages are "in" at the moment (dead? SINCE WHEN?!?! That's terrible, has anyone told the Pope?!).

Aber im Ernst: herzlich Willkommen im frisch upgegradeten Forum, hier lernst du ja sicherlich was (ob es tatsächlich was Nützliches ist, sei natürlich dahingestellt ;)). Ich freue mich schon auf deine zukünftigen Beiträge (von denen es natürlich TAUSENDE geben wird, nicht wahr?). Viel Spaß dabei!

(Übrigens: da wir hier ja ein ganz höflicher Haufen sind und keine sensible Seele mit unaufgeforderten Korrekturen beleidigen wollen, bekommt man hier seine Beiträge nur dann korrigiert, wenn das Kürzel "KW" (kurz für "Korrekturen Willkommen") darunter steht. Selbstverständlich gilt das nur für deutsche Texte, es sei denn, du bräuchtest dazu noch Hilfe mit deinem Englisch ;))

(Studierst du übrigens an der Manchester-Uni? Ich habe nämlich ein paar Freunde dort.)

Jonjoseph
16th April 2011, 08:52
Thanks for the welcome! I feel languages in general aren't promoted here. I had to bend head over heel to take part in an Ancient Greek class, whereas I could stroll into a I.T. or Maths class. I might be wrong, but that is my experience! Even my lecturers who need to learn German for their discipline only know what they need to.

Nice to see other English people here as well! As well as somebody who seems to be fluent in German? Wow. :)

Unfortunately I can far from understand your German post! Something regarding an upgrade in the forum? The only way I would be able to understand it would be able to copy & paste it to Google Translate which I feel is a little cheap! Although I'm a student at Bangor University in Wales, not Manchester. :)

Selen
17th April 2011, 08:18
Es wäre gemein, den armen Google-Übersetzer Kats Beiträgen auszusetzen! Aber vielleicht ganz lustig.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4168/bbmemberpicture.gif (http://img850.imageshack.us/i/bbmemberpicture.gif/) (kw, bitte)

superkat
17th April 2011, 12:26
Thanks for the welcome! I feel languages in general aren't promoted here. I had to bend head over heel to take part in an Ancient Greek class, whereas I could stroll into a I.T. or Maths class. I might be wrong, but that is my experience! Even my lecturers who need to learn German for their discipline only know what they need to.
Oh, yeah, when you put it like that, definitely. Languages are the hated bastard children of the educational system, which is a bit stupid really, because TRY LEARNING ANY OTHER SUBJECT WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SPEAK (well, maybe Art, but that's just colouring in anyway, not a proper subject). Within the languages that are offered though, I don't think German is that discriminated against.

Nice to see other English people here as well! As well as somebody who seems to be fluent in German? Wow. :)
There's quite a few of us here, actually (well, ish), including Selen up there, whose German is incidentally much better than mine. I'm nowhere near fluent, but I am good at using (on average) around 17.6 times as many words per sentence than the average person and thereby confusing them so much that they don't notice how rubbish I am. :D

Unfortunately I can far from understand your German post! Something regarding an upgrade in the forum? The only way I would be able to understand it would be able to copy & paste it to Google Translate which I feel is a little cheap! Although I'm a student at Bangor University in Wales, not Manchester. :)
Many apologies for germanning you into confused submission, this is a bad habit of mine. I just welcomed you into our recently upgraded forum and mentioned that you need to write "KW" (short for "Korrekturen Willkommen", "corrections welcome") either in your signature or at the end of your posts if you want to get any corrections on your German. We don't correct people who don't ask us to, in case they sue. Or cry like a girl. I'm not sure which prospect is the more horrifying.

Ooh, Bangor. I don't know anyone there, but I did spend a SCINTILLATING afternoon there once as part of a Geography field-trip. We had to separate into groups and stand at various positions around the town and count pedestrians, which is a bit like counting sheep except a) less interesting, b) less woolly, and c) you're not allowed to go to sleep. One of our Geography teachers almost got arrested for following us all "inconspicuously" around to check we weren't all just running off to the pub (apparently a middle-aged man with a beard in an anorak skulking around corners behind teenage girls looks a bit weird, WHO KNEW). When we got back to the hostel that evening to collate all our data, it turned out that basically every other group had run off to the pub (apparently they did a nice Ploughman's), and me and my friends were the only mugs who had actually been standing counting people for hours. That was also the day that I won the "who can remember how to spell 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili ogogogoch' and prove it in the shortest time" competition (I won a Welsh children's book and a keyring!), an achievement I have yet to top. Happy days, happy days.

superkat
17th April 2011, 12:38
Es wäre gemein, den armen Google-Übersetzer Kats Beiträgen auszusetzen! Aber vielleicht ganz lustig.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4168/bbmemberpicture.gif (http://img850.imageshack.us/i/bbmemberpicture.gif/) (kw, bitte)

So schlecht geschrieben sind sie doch nicht, oder?! ;) Nur so aus Neugier habe ich meinen ersten Beitrag dem Google-Übersetzer übergeben, und in der Tat hat der doch gar nicht so schlecht abgeschnitten:

But seriously, welcome to the newly upgraded forum, here you learn so sure what (if there really is something useful, was of course an open question). I'm looking forward to your future contributions (of which there will of course be thousands, right?). Have fun!

(By the way: do we here so are a very polite bunch and no sensitive soul with unsolicited corrections insult, you get here his contributions corrected only when the abbreviation "KW" ("welcome correction " short for) below is of course true. for only the German text, unless you would need to still help with your English)

(Incidentally, you study at the Manchester Uni? For I have some friends there.)

Ist schon einigermaßen verständlich, oder?

Und dabei hat dein Beitrag den Übersetzungsaffen ganz schön zu schaffen gemacht:

It would mean, the poor Google translation Kats suspend contributions! But perhaps quite funny.
What I want to know is why Google is the "poor" one, when it's my suspend contributions that are being meddled with?! :mad:

Selen
17th April 2011, 14:16
So schlecht geschrieben sind sie doch nicht, oder?!
Natürlich sind sie es nicht. Was Googles Arbeit nicht besonders vereinfacht.

Ist schon einigermaßen verständlich, oder?
Einigermaßen. Aber immerhin lustig.

Und dabei hat dein Beitrag den Übersetzungsaffen ganz schön zu schaffen gemacht
Gerade dazu war die Formulierung natürlich gedacht. ("Precisely to the formulation was of course expected.")

In einem früheren Forum gab es ein Spiel, bei dem jemand eine automatische Übersetzung posten würde, und die anderen den Urtext raten sollten. Es war manchmal ganz schön schwierig, auch wenn der Urtext ein wohl bekanntes Zitat oder eine gebräuchliche Redewendung war. Allerdings handelte es sich damals nicht um Google, sondern um einen dessen Vorläufer namens Altavista.

behemoth
8th May 2011, 02:16
"...bei dem jemand eine a. Ü. postete (*) und die anderen..." (*) womit man natürlich unterstellte, daß "posten" ein mittlerweile germanisiertes Verb ist - was m.E. für den speziellen Kontext
eines (dieses) Forums zutrifft. Das "würde" impliziert im deutschen Gehirn, daß es auf die "wenn-Bedingung" wartet...pretty nice schwierig, wat?...
"...handelte es sich nicht um Google, sondern um einen seiner Vorläufer..." ( weil: das Google, weil: das System ) - gleichwohl wäre auch "..., sondern um dessen Vorläufer BLAH." möglich, womit allerdings der - mutmaßlich unzutreffende und nicht gewollte - Eindruck erweckt würde, daß Google diesbezüglich aus BLAH entstanden sei - und Google daher nur genau diesen EINEN Vorläufer gehabt hätte. Auch "..., sondern um einen von dessen Vorläufern namens BLAH." wäre möglich.

behe

behemoth
8th May 2011, 02:36
Wat kann dat Fräulein KAT doch schöne Sätze drechseln...und wunderbare Wörter gebrauchen wie 'germanning s.b. into'... eine wahre Gemme aber ist dieses "SCINTILLATING"!
"Perlen vor die Schweine", daß du nicht als English-teacher für Germanen arbeitest...wäre sicher anstrengend, aber wahrscheinlich sehr lehrreich und sicher ganz lustig.
{yes: den comic 'pearls before swine' solltest du kennen - a MUST for 'thouones' [oder wat heißt in Slurrey "deinesgleichen"?] }

Hiermit erteile ich dir die Erlaubnis, den Titel "Fünkchen h.c." zu führen mit der Berechtigung, als "Kriegsnamen" SCINTILLA verwenden zu dürfen.
( das entsprechende Logo mußt du dir schon selber basteln - dafür bin ich zu doof ).
< aber um es vorweg zu sagen: es muß ja nicht gleich das notorische Fünkchen sein, was das Faß zum Überlaufen bringt !! >

behe

Selen
8th May 2011, 02:44
Vielen Dank, behe.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4168/bbmemberpicture.gif (http://img850.imageshack.us/i/bbmemberpicture.gif/)

JohnPaul44
8th May 2011, 15:04
Oh, yeah, when you put it like that, definitely. Languages are the hated bastard children of the educational system,

Just an incidental comment.
In America, it is not just foreign languages which have apparently disappeared from public schools. (I understand that "public" schools in England are what are called "private" schools in America). Many American high schools have not only dropped foreign languages, but have also dropped such subjects as physics, advanced math, etc, with the excuse that it is impossible to find teachers capable of teaching these subjects. What does this say about the results of 60 years of liberal domination of the American public school system, which has replaced basic education with a ridiculous "politically correct" attempt at "social engineering"?