PDA

View Full Version : Hallo

shodgen
29th April 2011, 12:28
My name is Steven and I'd like to regain what I lost. I spent two years in Germany (Kaiserslautern), between the ages of 2 and 4 years. I spoke German as a German child would. When I came back to the US, I had no opportunity to continue using German so it was largely lost, except for many memories.

Around ten years ago I spent five weeks in Germany (Karlsruhe) on a business trip and had a wonderful time. It was amazing, since I started picking German up quickly and the experience of being in Germany felt very familiar, sort of like remembering a dream. I wish to regain my German Language in a more stable way. Additionally, I'd like to learn to read/write German so I can read German literature in German.

For speaking, I'd like to find a native German speaker in my area (Seattle, WA) who I can speak with in person, perhaps even striking up a friendship, so I'm hoping this forum can help with that as well.

Kind Regards,
--Steven

hyde7
6th May 2011, 17:51
Hi Steven! Willkommen im Forum! I don't know about finding a real person in Seattle, but you can certainly find people here in the forum who will be glad to "talk" with you. We also have a pen pal section.

JohnPaul44
6th May 2011, 21:32
Hi Steven! Willkommen im Forum! I don't know about finding a real person in Seattle, but you can certainly find people here in the forum who will be glad to "talk" with you. We also have a pen pal section.
Hallo, Hyde!
There are no "real" people left in Seattle after I left there in 1995. :)
John

shodgen
7th May 2011, 08:04

Thanks! Yeah. I may have to advertise in this area--craigslist perhaps?

When you say there are people here who would "talk" with me, do you mean via Skype or something? If so, I'm not particularly interested. So much is missed that way, although I suppose it's better than nothing.

In any case, thanks for the warm welcome! :-)

hyde7
7th May 2011, 11:48
If you want to talk to real people in German, there used to be a weekly Seattle Stammtisch (http://german.about.com/od/speakinggerman/a/stammtisch.htm) -- and there still may be. I wrote an article about it (and other meet-up groups) some time ago at my former About.com site. Just click on the link above to read it. It also talks about setting up such German conversation groups in places where there are none.

I would also suggest you set up tutoring here in the forum to practice your German in writing.