PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Whiskeyjack
19th July 2011, 17:50
I'm from Texas and I've been learning German for about two months now. Well, I started a couple of years ago but had to put it on the back burner because life got hectic. Anyway, I have four or five German dictionaries, four text books (with exercises) and the "German for Dummies" book, which seems to have been written by a dummy :P

I don't want to just be able to understand what somebody is saying in German. I want to be able to speak, write and read German properly, as much as somebody who speaks it as a first language.

The thing I am having the most difficult time with is correct sentence structure. I think this is because I do not have anybody who speaks German as a first language and is also grammatically correct. Is there anybody who would mind helping me out with this? I live in south, south, south Texas, where the language is a mixture of Spanish and English (my native language is English, as I am from the northern states)...so...finding a person who speaks proper German is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Heide
22nd July 2011, 09:39
Hallo Deborah,

We're glad that you have found this forum and hope that you find it helpful in learning German. I'm also glad that you've tried a few of the exercises. You seem to have a good basic understanding of German, but you just need some practice. How about opening a tutoring thread in the Beginning Tutoring folder (under your name). There you can write anything you want in German and one of the tutors will make corrections and give explanations either in German or in English, whichever works better for you. Keep on with the exercises they are good for practice. :)
If you write in German in any place other than your tutoring thread, you have to add 'kw' for 'Korrekturen willkommen' at the end of your message if you want your German corrected. (Some people don't want corrections, so we don't automatically do it.)

Viel Spa beim Deutschlernen!