PDA

View Full Version : Hello/Hallo!

Cormega
9th September 2011, 05:43
I'm from England, in my mid-40s and have never previously made any attempt to study a foreign language - save learning 'please' and 'thank you' in Greek for holidays there. I've set myself the goal of learning German to a good conversational standard over a five year progession, starting now. I start knowing almost nothing - I have recently acquired the Collins Easy Learning German by Rosi McNab so I can at least say:

Guten Tag! Wie geht es ihnen?

windz
13th September 2011, 22:15
Hello Cormega, and welcome to the forum!

Feel free to ask questions in the forum and participate in the conversations, exercises etc. If you'd like to write something in German and wish to have it corrected, just add "kw bitte" to the end of your text. It stands for "Korrekturen willkommen, bitte" (Corrections [are] welcomed), and someone will correct your text.You will also find a lot of informative articles in the main site "aboutgerman.net" as well as free online German lessons for beginners.

Lee

superkat
14th September 2011, 02:29
save learning 'please' and 'thank you' in Greek for holidays there
Well, that's one (or rather two, I suppose!) up on most Brits abroad! ;)

Anyway, you definitely sound like a (wo?)man with a plan, and 5 years is absolutely enough time to learn far more than just conversational German! Incidentally, I've just Googled the book you're using and I'm fairly sure I've had a bit of a sneaky peek through it in Smiths before! :D Either way, you can't really go wrong with Collins.

Guten Tag! Wie geht es ihnen?
Mir geht es super, danke (daher der Username ;)). Und dir?