PDA

View Full Version : DELETE MY ACCOUNT PLEASE

deutschfreundlich
13th September 2011, 19:55
DELETE MY ACCOUNT

THERE IS NO GERMAN LEARNING GOING ON HERE

hyde7
13th September 2011, 23:23
I really don't understand the reason for your post (which should NOT be in all caps; that violates our rules). I can name at least half a dozen forum members who have helped you with your German (in your 26 posts).

It really isn't necessary to post "delete my account" since you can do that yourself. - Having a bad day?

superkat
14th September 2011, 01:44
Honestly? None? Nicht mal ein bisschen? (There, I've ninja-slipped you four whole German words, you can no longer claim that there is no German learning going on. Man lernt Deutsch gerade in dem Faden, wo behauptet wird, es würde kein Deutsch gelernt werden. Welch Ironie!)

But seriously, in case you do return at some point (hopefully after you remove the heavy object which seems to be leaning on your Caps Lock key at the moment. Is it a cat? Cats have a tendency to do that.): I'm truly very sorry you feel that way. And I'm also a bit confused, because I seem to remember, for one thing, Nicki giving you a lot of (German) help with a (German) letter you were trying to translate. I'm fairly sure I even replied to one of your threads myself once! How do you define "no" German learning? Is that the sort of "no" that actually means "a bit, but no one replied to my last thread and I'm a bit annoyed"? I'm not trying to be horrible - that sort of thing happens to me too (ALL THE TIME, I should maybe start getting the message at some point ;)) and it can be frustrating when you've taken the time to write a load out in German and no one replies. In my case, I genuinely hadn't noticed your most recent thread until I did a search of your latest posts just now (to find out where all of the no German learning was going on) and it popped up. I would reply to it right now if you weren't going to delete your account.

If it is to do with the no-replies thing, my advice would be to start a private tutoring thread, because when you're set up with a tutor, they are OBLIGED to reply to you! It's great! You can say any old nonsense and someone has to reply to you! Try it out! Whole new worlds! :D

robertmillar
14th September 2011, 01:44
I really don't understand this statement. My German has improved leaps and bounds by doing the exercises on this Forum. I admit that sometimes the exercises can be lost amongst the news links but there are ways of filtering this out to just be notified of what you want to read.

deutschfreundlich
14th September 2011, 03:11
if you look at my previous posts they were usually answered within one day or on the same day as I posted them.

I am not saying I demand this, that is just the pattern I observed.

When I saw the pattern was broken and I was no longer getting responses at the same frequency, I knew something was wrong.

That is no problem. I will go somewhere else. I joined the forum to learn German and that means I have to receive corrections from German speakers.

superkat
14th September 2011, 04:58
Okay. Um. Seriously? Seriously? Despite the fact that it was actually what I thought, I am completely baffled.

You make 24 posts, all of which are replied to swiftly and efficiently, and just because no one had anything to say to post number 25, you're flouncing? And, anyway, I can think of a couple of good reasons why no one did reply:

1) It's mentioned all over this forum that we only correct messages if "KW" (for "Korrekturen Willkommen") is written underneath them. This is because a lot of people get quite upset at being corrected (yes, I realise that this is quite ironic in this situation) and we don't want to offend anyone by pointing out their mistakes if they don't want to know. You haven't written "KW" in your signature, nor is it written at the end of the thread in question. How were we supposed to know that you wanted corrections for that post? Yes, people corrected your other posts, but that's because they were largely grammatical questions, where it can't really be avoided.

2) Right, so bearing in mind that you've not asked for any corrections, what sort of response are we meant to assume that you actually want to that thread? It's effectively a list of facts (not that they're not interesting facts, that's not what I'm saying). You don't ask any questions, you don't ask what anyone else thinks. What kind of reaction are we supposed to think that you want?

This is a free forum, populated entirely by very nice, very kind volunteers who give up their time to teach us German. I'm sorry, but I find it a bit disrespectful, not to mention INCREDIBLY dismissive of all the help you've already received, that you're now throwing your toys out of the pram just because you didn't receive immediate attention one time. Please don't get offended by this: if this isn't the case then by all means set me straight: I would very much like to be wrong. (This is not a sentence that I say often!)

The thing is, though, that's exactly what your actions are saying.

Well, if you're sure we really can't convince you to stay, if you genuinely believe that one single exception completely disproves a "rule", that if no one replies to one of your posts then it means that no one will ever reply to another one ever again, then I suppose I'd better just wish you luck in finding a FREE forum which replies instantly to every post you write, even the ones which don't strictly adhere to the posting guidelines for receiving corrections. I'm sure there are loads.

Was this post too mean? I hope it wasn't too mean. I don't want to be mean, I am just really a) bemused and b) offended on behalf of the people who devote so much time to helping people on this website. I genuinely hope you change your mind and stay. And possibly think a bit about the fact that the people on this forum are humans with lives and jobs and families who receive nothing for doing this and do not spend 24 hours a day on this website waiting for your questions.

Aaaaaand deep breaths!!

windz
14th September 2011, 05:06
if you look at my previous posts they were usually answered within one day or on the same day as I posted them.

When I saw the pattern was broken and I was no longer getting responses at the same frequency, I knew something was wrong.

That is no problem. I will go somewhere else. I joined the forum to learn German and that means I have to receive corrections from German speakers.

Just to add a little to what Kat has said: Sometimes a thread gets lost among many new threads coming in. You can always "bump" yours by asking for a feedback / response. Just because no one answered immediately to your thread doesn't mean that something "is wrong". I can understand why your previous post went unanswered because I personally wasn't sure what you were asking for in that post. A comment, correction, discussion?

Wixtofa
14th September 2011, 16:03
This forum has been very helpful to me in the past year or so that I've been registered. Especially the exercises. I can't believe I didn't start doing the exercises for so long.

Ligeia
15th September 2011, 00:31
I'm sorry to hear that you want delete your account, because you have made great improvements in your German :(