PDA

View Full Version : German Band "Rammstein"

wingman1985
20th November 2011, 19:23
I have been listening to German band Rammstein recently. Do you hear this band too? I write their lyrics down and look up jedes Wort(Is this the right expression in German?) in the dictionary. It helps with my German learning.

I try to write in German but I have difficulty doing this. I hope nach und nach I can write in German. Sorry for my mixture with German and English.

Robin
21st November 2011, 01:06
Yes, I think you'll find that many people here like Rammstein (me, for example), and in fact the band has been a primary reason for many people who joined us here in order to learn German. ;) They are doing a lot to spread interest in German world-wide...

superkat
21st November 2011, 12:24
I'm afraid I can't listen to that sort of music without coming out in a sore throat in sympathy ;)

insanoflex
21st November 2011, 21:54
Ich habe dich nicht verstanden, superkat. Singst du mit dem Musik, oder magst du die Band nicht? Manchmals hoere (Ich kann umlaeuten nicht an diesem Computer tippen) ich Rammstein gern. Ja, genau ist das warum, ich moechte Deustch sprechen lernen.

superkat
22nd November 2011, 08:15
Ich habe dich nicht verstanden, superkat. Singst du mit der Musik (mit), oder magst du die Band nicht? Manchmals hoere (Ich kann keine Umlauten (paradoxerweise hat die Mehrzahl von "Umlaut" gar keinen Umlaut nötig! Eine völlig umlautfreie Zone!) an diesem Computer tippen) ich Rammstein gern. Ja, genau das ist der Grund, warum, ich Deutsch (sprechen) lernen moechte.

Nö, so ein Gebrüll kann ich mir prinzipiell nicht anhören, ohne dass mir der eigene Hals wehtut ;) Ich höre eben lieber Musik, die sich tatsächlich noch als "Musik" klassifizieren lässt. :p

(Ne, aber im Ernst: jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen. Ist halt nicht so meins!)

Wixtofa
23rd November 2011, 02:57
I'm afraid I can't listen to that sort of music without coming out in a sore throat in sympathy ;)

Eh, I really don't find them as screamy as some other bands. At least they have some softer songs to even it out

superkat
23rd November 2011, 12:24
Eh, I really don't find them as screamy as some other bands. At least they have some softer songs to even it out
But just because other people take something to greater extremes than you doesn't mean that you were never doing that something in the first place! :cool:

I've only listened to about five seconds of their music (it was enough) anyway, so my main role in this thread is really just to irritate ;)

JohnPaul44
23rd November 2011, 17:09
Hi, superkat,

My impression of modern music is a bunch of screaming savages dancing around a jungle campfire. There may be some rhythm in the drums, but certainly not in the voice, and the concept of melody in music seems to have died more than 30 years ago.

I am surprised that a person as young as yourself hasn't been brainwashed into liking it! Perhaps there is some hope for modern youth after all!

John

Wixtofa
25th November 2011, 19:17
But just because other people take something to greater extremes than you doesn't mean that you were never doing that something in the first place! :cool:

I've only listened to about five seconds of their music (it was enough) anyway, so my main role in this thread is really just to irritate ;)

ORLY? So after five seconds of one song you to dismiss them and their six albums as screamy and annoying? You should have a listen to 'Stirb nicht vor mir'. :)

JohnPaul44
25th November 2011, 19:37
ORLY? So after five seconds of one song you to dismiss them and their six albums as screamy and annoying? You should have a listen to 'Stirb nicht vor mir'. :)

Six albums is certainly not a guarantee of quality if sold to the younger generation. A majority of the younger generation are themselves screamy and annoying, with a vocabulary estimated at about 200 words. Have you ever listened to a jet engine up close? Five seconds is enough!

Wixtofa
25th November 2011, 23:20
True. I'm just saying that they do have some nicer songs, as well. On this side of the world the only german band anyone can get a hold of is Rammstein, so if you're interested in learing german you will end up listening to them more than you'd initially like to. They definatly have their annoying songs, but they do have some gems, as well.

Robin
26th November 2011, 01:09
I'd suggest "Los". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuD8x8ppKuM Especially for the extremely over-exaggerated /r/ sound I mentioned in the other thread. ;)

As for singing, "etwas sanglos sind wir immer noch"... ;)

wingman1985
26th November 2011, 01:31
I'd suggest "Los". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuD8x8ppKuM Especially for the extremely over-exaggerated /r/ sound I mentioned in the other thread. ;)

As for singing, "etwas sanglos sind wir immer noch"... ;)

They like to play with words. That is the fun part of their music:)

superkat
26th November 2011, 09:16
Six points, one for each illustrious album:

1) "Five seconds" could well have been an exaggeration for rhetoric effect ;)
2) ...it was actually six.
3) And they weren't only from one song, actually: I listened to a single randomly chosen second from six different songs, one from each of their albums. This is a perfectly reasonable sample size and an excellent way of judging music. It is scientifically proven. All the top music journalists do it like that.
4) I said neither "screamy" nor "annoying"!
5) Sorry, I don't really like the song. I did listen to the whole thing, but there's a specific type of male singing style (and this is it) that I really can't get on with.
6) Most importantly of all: what on earth is whatserface from Texas doing in the middle of a Rammstein song!? ;)

Wixtofa
27th November 2011, 03:22
Haha that's all fair enough.

GreenTaylorSimms
4th December 2011, 07:53
Another band that may be worth mentioning is OOMPH! The singing is much different from Rammstein, not to say better or worse but if one does not enjoy Rammstein OOMPH! or even Eisbrecher i a nice alternative. I myself am big fans of all three bands but the Neue Deutsche Haerte genre of music is something I think is still improving and can be improved upon. For example check out the song Wer Schoen sein will muss leiden by OOMPH! you might enjoy his singing better being not so harsh.

Robin
4th December 2011, 10:24
While we're at it: Ewigheim! Very dark lyrics, but mostly clean vocals.

GreenTaylorSimms
4th December 2011, 14:53
Never heard of Ewigheim, thank you. Also happy to hear new music.

wingman1985
16th December 2011, 18:14
While we're at it: Ewigheim! Very dark lyrics, but mostly clean vocals.

Does the name of the band mean "forever home"?

Robin
17th December 2011, 00:15
I'd rather read it as "eternal home".

wingman1985
20th December 2011, 19:35
I'd rather read it as "eternal home".

That is much better!

Spitz
28th December 2011, 03:03
I've had a hard time finding Germans who like Rammstein, which has surprised me. I can understand why some people wouldn't like their music, but i love it. I think I'm getting a Rammstein tee for Xmas...

Robin
29th December 2011, 02:27
I've had a hard time finding Germans who like Rammstein, which has surprised me. I can understand why some people wouldn't like their music, but i love it. I think I'm getting a Rammstein tee for Xmas...

For a moment you had me thinking what a Rammstein tree for Christmas might look like. ;)

Spitz
29th December 2011, 03:41
For a moment you had me thinking what a Rammstein tree for Christmas might look like. ;)
Of course, a Rammstein tree is the one that's always on fire :D

superkat
29th December 2011, 14:12

Presumably something along these lines...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17487286/stammrein2.jpg

Robin
30th December 2011, 01:09
Sehr schön. :)

Dustin
2nd April 2012, 00:29
Bump.

Just thought I'd say that I love Rammstein. And John Paul, you're confusing rock with the verbal vomit kids listen to nowadays that they call hip hop and rap.

To ask kids to go back hundreds of years and listen to classical music would be a stretch, but I don't think anyone can deny that rock and classic rock are the best genres. Rammstein is definitely one of my favourites. I have all of their albums.

Julian
2nd April 2012, 01:16
There's always classical music at our house for Christmas and it's pretty cool. My favorite for classical stuff is Johann Pachelbel. And there's tons of techno Christmas carols too. :D

Rammstein and Oomph! and KMFDM are amazing but there's other really cool German bands too like Tokio Hotel, The Grandtry, Leaves' Eyes, Smile and Burn, Donots, The Richies, Silbermond, and Kraftwerk. Btw, Des Wahnsinns fette Beute (Fat Booty of Madness), the new Oomph! album, is dropping this spring! :) And Tokio Hotel might win the MTV Musical March Madness contest! I voted for Tokio Hotel today and they are kicking Evanescence!

Dustin
2nd April 2012, 08:20
I also like Megaherz.

Wixtofa
6th April 2012, 06:02
Subway to Sally isn't too bad either. Very similar to Rammstein for a gradual transition to other bands. I'm a bit sick of the heavier stuff, though. Are there many german rock bands that are more, say of an Ozzy Osbourne style? Still rock, but not so heavy that you'd hardly play it when your friends are around.

hawkeye
24th August 2012, 09:49
I know I'm a little late on the topic, but I love Rammstein! Their lyrics are a little odd, but I like the music and it has helped me with my German pronunciation. Plus, they taught me a bunch of words and phrases (even how to count to 'zehn') before I actually sat down to begin my German learning.

Lexame
29th August 2012, 15:54
Plus, they taught me a bunch of words and phrases (even how to count to 'zehn') before I actually sat down to begin my German learning.

I'm guessing you're a fan of Sonne then? :P

Ich hoere auch gern Rammstein, sie sind einer von meine Lieblingsbands. Sie singen manchmal Metal, manchmal Liebeslieder und haben viele Vielfalt. Sie wirken ganz verrueckte aber das macht nichts, solange sie immer wieder gute Musik machen. :P