PDA

View Full Version : Hallo :)

lewis82
7th August 2010, 14:33
Guten tag! Mein name ist Louis, ich komme aus Kanada und ich möchte Deutsch lernen, weil ich mag die deutsche Sprache und Kultur.

(And I'll continue in english because even with my dictionnary, I fail to express what I want to say)

My goal is to be able to write and speak german to a sufficient level to communicate with native speakers, in one year.

Good luck, myself :)

hyde7
7th August 2010, 15:05
Hi Louis! Willkommen im Forum! - Welcome to the forum! You've set yourself a high goal, but you'll get lots of help here. If you want to get your German corrected, be sure to post "KW" for "corrections welcome."

lewis82
7th August 2010, 16:14
I agree that it is pretty optimistic.

Revised goal: to be much better in time for the firsy german class I'll take in uni next year.

Meanwhile, I'll try to at least get basic conversational skills. That sounds more realistic.

Heide
8th August 2010, 14:54
Hallo Lewis!

Herzlich Willkommen auch von mir!

Here are a few corrections to you message:

Guten tag! Mein nName ist Louis, ich komme aus Kanada und ich möchte Deutsch lernen, weil ich mag die deutsche Sprache und Kultur mag.

Now that wasn't so bad, was it? You did express exactly what you meant to say.:)

Keep writing as much as you can in German. You can post messages in one of the tutoring threads -- either one is ok, In the Intermediate/Advanced one you will get one native speaker as a tutor while in the Beginner tutoring thread, you may get several people making corrections, some of whom may be other students. However, you will be able to learn a lot in either one.

Viel Spaß beim Deutschlernen!

Gruß

lewis82
9th August 2010, 08:54
What is the rule about placing the verb at the end of the sentence? When using a modal verb (Müssen, Wollen, for example), the other verb goes at the end of the sentence. In the sentence I wrote, what condition caused "mag" to be placed at the end?

Heide
9th August 2010, 10:03
Hi Louis,

There are certain conjunctions which change the word order of the sentence. One group of conjunctions, called 'coordinating' conjunctions, keep the normal word order in the phrase introduced by the conjunction -- with the verb in the second spot. These conjunctions are: und, aber, sondern, oder denn (and some less common ones)
Meine Schwester ist sechs Jahre alt und mein Bruder ist acht.
Meine Schwester ist klein, aber mein Bruder ist groß.

The other group of conjunctions are called 'subordinating' conjunctions. These conjunctions send the verb to the end of the phrase. Some of the more common ones are: dass, weil, als, wie, bevor, nachdem, während, wenn
Ich weiß, dass meine Schwester sechs Jahre alt ist.
Mein Bruder war schon da, als ich zu Hause angekommen bin.
(My brother was already there, when I arrived home.)

Your sentence used 'weil' which is one of the subordinating conjunctions, so 'mag' had to be at the end. Now I'll have to tell you about 'weil'. Although offiicially it is subordinating, many people are using it today as a coordinating conjunction. So you may see it with the verb in the second place, but here we have to stick pretty much to the rules and send the verb to the end. :)

Hilft das?

lewis82
9th August 2010, 10:32
Ja :) Danke schön!

Heide
9th August 2010, 14:06
Gern geschehen!