PDA

View Full Version : Howdy Y'all, my name is Jack

jacktheknife
15th August 2010, 13:47
Gentlemen, and Ladies too,

Howdy from Texas and it sure is hot.
I studied German at the Delphi forums for about a year and am sad to see it gone
or whatever happened. Bye Y'all

This is really my first post here on the new forum and I wanted to say hi.
I have a sentence I am working on and I have avoided learning the number 25,
and become familiar with it enough to use it in conversation.
{All the other numbers too of course} but can't put it off any longer.

Please read this and check it for proper grammar, and gender
and let me know. Sure is easier to learn something the right way at first,
rather than learn it the wrong way, then try and forget it and re-learn it right.
That old ghost word is always in there!!!

I have always wanted to tell people I am of 25% German blood.
And how my Great Grand Father on my Mothers side
came to Rains county Texas in the 1880's or 90's
{Grandmother was born there in 1898}

So here goes...

Ich habe blot die Deutsch fünfunzwanzig prozente
Now I have done the best I can with the wording and gender,
but please someone check this out and the pronounciation of prozente.

Thank you...?

Jack the Knife
Sandymay und von Dukedog too

lewis82
15th August 2010, 14:54
What about "ein viertel" instead of "fünfundzwanzig prozent"?

Willkommen hier :)

hyde7
15th August 2010, 15:09
I studied German at the Delphi forums for about a year and am sad to see it gone or whatever happened. Bye Y'all...
Hi Jack, this IS the old Delphi German forum! Willkommen im Forum!

You wrote "Ich habe blot die Deutsch fünfunzwanzig prozente" -- and I think you were trying to say: Ich habe fünfundzwanzig Prozent deutsches Blut. But there are probably better ways to express this idea that you are 1/4 German heritage.

PS - As noted in your membership email, the first 2-3 posts by all new forum members are moderated, which is why your post did not appear right away.

jacktheknife
15th August 2010, 15:36
Thank you Hyde 7, and Lewis82,
I had the order of the words wrong, is it verbs at the 'end' of a sentence?
25% and blot die Deutsch... isn't blot a noun?
I am so happy to be here, but I have to get the old spiral notebook out, {it's right here}
go through it and and practice all what I did know.

Jack the Knife

Heide
15th August 2010, 18:31
Hallo Jack!

Willkommen im Forum!

I had the order of the words wrong, is it verbs at the 'end' of a sentence?
Only sometimes. In the normal sentence order the verb (if there is only one) is in the second place in the sentence--the way Hyde wrote it.
25% and blot die Deutsch... isn't blot a noun? Yes, it is, but the word is 'Blut', not blot. Remember that all nouns are capitalized in German.
As Hyde wrote, 'deutsches Blut' is better than 'Blut des Deutschen' (in place of 'blot die Deutsch') in both German and English. German blood vs. blood of the German.

Glad to see you here!
Gruß

Nicki
16th August 2010, 01:46
I have always wanted to tell people I am of 25% German blood.
And how my Great Grand Father on my Mothers side
came to Rains county Texas in the 1880's or 90's
{Grandmother was born there in 1898}

Ich würde es so sagen: Ich bin zu einem Viertel (oder: zu fünfundzwanzig Prozent) deutsch (oder: deutscher Abstammung, von deutschem Blut). Einer meiner Urgroßväter mütterlicherseits kam in den 1880er oder 90er Jahren in das Rains County, Texas. Meine Großmutter wurde dort 1898 geboren.

Dominique

behemoth
16th August 2010, 06:28
hi Howdy,
sorry1: my English isn't as good, that i can explain it to you in E - so i'll try in Deutsch;
sorry2: your counting seems to be wrong: wenn NUR EIN Ur-Opa deutscher Herkunft war, dann ist der Anteil deutschen Blutes mindestens 1/8 - es sei denn, die Ur-Oma, die 1898 dort geboren wurde, hatte deutsche Eltern.

{Rains county ist aber noch ziemlcih weit weg von Luckenbach...}

behe

jacktheknife
19th August 2010, 10:56
beheemoth,

behe, Wirklich ' both' von meinen großen großartigen Eltern waren vom deutschen Ursprung.
' James von Dorn' waren meine großväterlichen Mütter. Und meine Vatergroßeltern wurden ' genannt; Peeler'.
James von Dorn verheiratetes Hattie Stroup welches mir von einem Vetter erklärt worden bin, ist ein belgischer Name.
Und es war mein Unfähigkeit Richter, der spezifisch sagte: " Jack ist deutsches 25% und 75% Scott".
Ich mag 1/4 eher als fünfunzwanzig sagen und werde die korrekten Fälle auch wieder lernen. Zurück zu sein ist gut,… ♪ JacktheKnife

jacktheknife
19th August 2010, 11:04
Nicki,

I would say it in such a way: I am to a quarter (or: to twenty five per cent) German (or: German descent, of German blood). One of my great-grandfathers mütterlicherseits came into the 1880er or 90's into the Rains County, Texas. My grandmother was born there 1898. Dominique

The simplest way would be: [one quarter German heritage]
That's the version I will memorize.

Thank you...♪

J. Winters von Knife

jacktheknife
19th August 2010, 11:17
Heide,

It was you Heide who taught me the alt codes for, ß ü ect...
My German teacher was living in Argentina and has retired in Budapest
but always said there is a way to type umlautes and sharfes s's on a keyboard but he didn't know how.
Right before he went to California to work for a year and save enough money to go back to Europe
I E-mailed him the alt codes and he wrote me back and said his real name was Robert,
and how happy he was to be able to type' real German looking German'.

It made me feel good to be able to help him after all the time he tried to teach 'a Texican' the German language.
I copied your instructions and E-mailed them to old Robert,
giving full credit where credit was deserved.

Last time I got an E-mail from him he had almost forgotten his English.
Old Robert must be having a good time retired in Budapest.
{Even though it sounds like some place Peter Lorie would hang out at}

But thank you Heide for the alt codes and it has been several years.
I have been busy with suing two little cities,
and putting five cops in prison for conspiracy,
ie. 99.5 years.
{Got them too}

Thank you Heide

JacktheKnife

Heide
19th August 2010, 11:57
Hi Jack,

Thanks for sharing that story. I'm glad that your friend was finally able to type the umlauts. Is he orginally from Germany? If so, no wonder he was glad to be able to write them.

<<I have been busy with suing two little cities,
and putting five cops in prison for conspiracy,
ie. 99.5 years.
{Got them too}>>
Herzlichen Glückwunsch! That must have been an interesting case! There is nothing worse than corrupt cops and politicians. Have you considered taking your expertise to Washington, D.C.? :eek:

Liebe Grüße

snodger
19th August 2010, 13:31
Hi Jack,

If you are using Windows, there is no need to use ALT codes to type umlauts and ß. There is a neat application called DeKey, available on this site, which makes it very simple. Go to http://www.aboutgerman.net/agn_dekey.htm

jacktheknife
20th August 2010, 19:02
Gentlemen,

Ich bin zu einem Viertel deutsch
according to my Bablefish translates to
'I am German to a quarter'
is that correct?

J. Winters von Knife

jacktheknife
22nd August 2010, 08:38
Heide,

Heide,
Yes, Robert was born in Germany but was too young to get involved in ww2.
He was the first person who took the time to 'get me going' with German, enough to start becoming familiar with the language.
I was glad to be able to help him with the alt codes.
And thank you Heide for that.

Jack the Knife

Heide
22nd August 2010, 09:54
Heide,

Heide,
Yes, Robert was born in Germany but was too young to get involved in ww2. That's a good thing.
He was the first person who took the time to 'get me going' with German, enough to start becoming familiar with the language. And now you can keep it going, nicht wahr?
I was glad to be able to help him with the alt codes.
And thank you Heide for that. Gern geschehen!

Jack the Knife

Gruß aus Maryland