Welcome to our forum for learning German! Below you'll find some helpful hints for getting started.
1. Posting. In order to post a message or reply to a message in the forum, you must be registered and signed in. Registration is very simple – and free. If you have never posted a forum message before, your first several messages must be approved by a moderator before they appear in the forum. (This is an anti-spam measure.) After you have posted several times, your posts will no longer be moderated.
2. Forum Rules. We have a few simple rules for using the forum, all designed to make using the forum a pleasant experience for all. See our Forum Rules for details.
3. Finding Your Way Around. When you click on a forum's name, you are taken to the list of threads it contains. A thread is a conversation between members. Each thread starts out as a single post and grows as more individual posts are added by different users. You can select from three different ways to view messages in a thread: (1) Linear, (2) Threaded, or (3) Hybrid (a combination of 1 and 2). You can set that in your personal settings or while you are in a thread.
We have three main sections for the forums: The Home section is where you are now. It features general information, articles and lessons for members. The Forum section is where you will find all of our AboutGerman.net forums for learning German. The Blog section features blogs by the moderators and administrators. You can reach each section by clicking on its link in the gray navigation bar at the top of any page. A typical member will spend most of his/her time in the Forum section discussing German grammar and vocabulary.
4. FAQ. For detailed information about using the forum, see our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions). You'll also find an FAQ link at the top of any page in the Forum section.
5. TAGS. Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements our normal search feature, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users. A tag search will show you all the posts concerning that topic.
To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if your post is related to 'verbs' then you can add the tag 'verbs' to the tag list. But you could also add tags such as 'strong verbs', 'verb conjugation,' 'past tense' or any other appropriate tag. When you post a new thread, we encourage you to add descriptive tags that will make it easy for others to find your thread.